Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Coo-coo for Cocoa mix

Recently I ran across a wonderful blog of how to's. From recipes to crafts, this blogger shares all of her Little Birdie Secrets.

My favorite post has been one on how to make your own hot chocolate mix. As soon as I read it, I knew what I would be giving all of the teachers at the boy's Mother's Day Out Programs, our wonderful postwoman, and all of those other people that one should give gifts to but can never think of what to give them.

Photobucket

Hot Cocoa Mix

Ingredients:
10 cups of dry milk powder
4 3/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups powdered non-dairy creamer

Mix all the ingredients in a very large bowl. This recipe yields 15 cups. Be sure to store your mixture in a jar or airtight container. Little Birdie Secrets made really cute jars. I, on the other hand didn't have time for all of that, so I found $2.17 jars, a $2.50 spool of gift wrap garland, and $1.50 package of eight gift tags all at Wal-Mart to hold and decorate my mix. On the inside of the gift tags I wrote whom the gift was from and also the directions for making the cocoa:

Stir 3 heaping Tablespoons of the mix into 3/4 cup of hot water or milk.

This was a messy project, but oh so cute in the end. My biggest problem was knowing exactly how much to buy at the grocery store. I, of course, bought too much and therefore made two batches filling 10 of my big jars.

My grocery list consisted of:

  • a 4 pound box of dry milk powder
  • 2 bags of confectioners' sugar
  • a 16 oz. can of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • a 1 lb. jar/can of powdered non-dairy creamer

Maybe now that you have a grocery list, you won't go overboard as I did.

Make sure you check out Little Birdie Secrets and leave her some bloggy love and for you overachievers out there, be sure to read the her recipe for peppermint marshmallows, you could always pair the two recipes together to make one really great and over-the-top gift.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I don't use powdered sugar in mine but that would make it nicer. I saw another recipe today that had a package of instant chocolate pudding in it. YUM!

Melinda said...

Yum is right! Where ever did you find that recipe?

Daniele said...

Sounds good, I think I might try it. I have been trying to figure out what to get Eli's teachers. Thank you.

Dawn said...

Great ideas!!

Unknown said...

This cocoa is absolutely awesome!!! Now, I know the recipe!!! Thank you so much...