Thursday, March 5, 2009

The road to a better me

I am suffering from a mild case of blogger butt and post holiday thighs. I am declaring that starting on Monday I am going to work at losing some much needed weight in pursuit of a thinner and healthier me.

Why am I telling you all this? 1. So that you all can be my cheerleaders – I am a firm believer in positive reinforcement and 2. because I need you all to hold me accountable – I lack the drive and determination to do this on my own.

The plan of action includes starting out by waking up at o’dark thirty, fixing the hubby some coffee (which I’m sure will take him by surprise since I usually sleep for a couple more hours after he has left for work) and then working-out at least three times a week for at least 30 minutes at a time (eventually, I hope to increase this); but for now this is a big step for me since I am basically as inactive and lazy as they come.

I also plan on omitting my beloved Pepsi and drinking more water (which I disgust). This is HUGE for me since Pepsi is my only caffeine fix – I don’t drink coffee or tea but Pepsi has truly become an addiction of sorts.

Speaking of omitting things, I also plan to cut back on my intake of sweets. Notice I said cut back, not cut out…life is short and you only live once and just the thought of cutting out sweets entirely is depressing and a sure-fire way for me to face failure early on during this road to bettering myself.

I am also not going to put out there, for all the world to see, how much weight I am actually wanting to lose: 1. because then you all would truly know how overweight I really am and 2. because numbers are never a good thing – again, I would just be setting myself up for failure.

The ultimate goal here is to lose weight and inches, regain some lost energy, and ultimately feel better about myself – hopefully making me not only a better woman, but a better wife and mother as well.

Time permitting, I plan to update my progress every Thursday by keeping a weekly log of weight lost, inches lost and time spent exercising; along with personal notes of how I am feeling and the struggles I have faced throughout the week. If you would like to join me as I embark on this new journey, I would love the company. Please feel free to copy the charts below, if you’d like. And if you would just like to cheer me on and/or hold me accountable, I would appreciate it more than words could say.

Personal Chart (for home use only)

StartingWeek 1Week 2Week 3Week 4
Weight (lbs)
Biceps (in)
Waist (in)
Hips/Butt (in)
Quads/
Thighs (in)
Calves (in)
Time spent exercising
Personal Notes,
Struggles and Achievements

Blog Chart (what I will post on Thursdays)

Week 1Week 2Week 3Week 4
Weight – lbs. lost
Biceps - in. lost
Waist – in. lost
Hips/Butt – in. lost
Quads/Thighs – in. lost
Calves – in. lost
Time spent exercising

(I have no idea why all the rows and columns are erasing once in blogger; but you get the general idea.)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go! I love how you call it Blogger Butt. Yeah. I relate.

You've got one cheerleader here!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I will help you if you will help me!!! I need to do something but I just don't seem to have the "will" power or the "want" to. I know I need to loose but I just can't get motivated!!!!!

Debbie said...

You know what I love about your charts? You could easily erase all the things on the left column and replace them with "cheesecake eaten" "Doritos eaten", etc. Just an idea.

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

Oh that might be just up my alley! I need a new motivation!!! This is so great!

Mandy, Dustin and Thomas said...

I will be more than glad to cheer you on. I myself need to start working out, my husband is always getting onto me. One thing that I do is 200 crunches a night and it has made a big differnce after having Thomas.

Daniele said...

Glad I am not the only one going through this. Keep me inspired, I am thinking about taking a pilates class at the Y, I don't think I am doing my pilates exercises right. Good luck on this!

Amy said...

Yea! Count me in! I have been signed up for Weight Watcher now for 3 weeks and have done the program one week faithfully. ugh. I will report in on Thurs. We can do this!!!! Thanks for the charts and I agree on the sweets. I HAVE to chocolate every day. Even if it is just a little! Amy

Brooke Haynie said...

hey-

a great website to go to is sparkpeople.com. They have tons of great info about weight loss and getting healthy! If you have an iphone or ipod touch you should get the loose it application. Quite amazing! Good luck!

Heidi said...

Good Luck Girl! We are all cheering you on (and joining in a little ourselves, i'm sure!)

Amber said...

Good luck to ya! When i have the baby, ill definately be jumping back on the band wagon of losing some weight. I think its good that you arent cutting out sweets completely...ive learned that if you cut out stuff that you really like and want, you will do nothing but think about it, and then feel like a failure when you eat some. So, I eat things like that in moderation (most of the time..hehe) and go on with life!

Liz Brack said...

I've started walking the two days the kiddos are at MDO. You're welcome to join me. Today I walked a little in the Life Center and then headed outside.

Mrs. Bird said...

Good luck! You can do it!!!

~ A Moxie Mom said...

I will not only be cheering you on, but I will be in the trenches with you.

I think it is awesome that you are doing this!

Tim said...

Ok Im out of lurkdom and into the light here. I love your blog and have read it for a while. I just became a follower so I hope thats ok.

Pleae feel free to stop by and visit us at Fort Thompson anytime. You are always welcome.

God Bless

Newberry said...

I'm sure you'll do great! I completely agree about cutting back on sweets and not cutting out. Life is too short, and if I try to completely cut them out I go crazy :)

Unknown said...

Ok, I am going to join on Monday too. I am not going to talk about it on my blog though, because truth be told, I get SO depressed when I read about weight loss everywhere I go. Sadly, I have been fat my whole life. Even when I was a kindergartener : ). When I was in 4th grade and every year after that I would ask for a diet for my Birhday. Can you believe that. My brother and sister were way more normal. Oh well. I will pray for you! I love your blog!