Sunday, June 28, 2009

The little devil

Jack and I were singing “This little light of mine” the other day and when we got to the part that says “Don’t let Satan blow it out”, Jack abruptly stopped singing and stated “Satan goes to our church.”

Since we just recently switched churches this somewhat concerned me - not because I actually thought Satan went to our new church but because I was worried about the things they might or might not be teaching my sons during Sunday school.

So to get to the bottom of it all I asked Jack who told him Satan goes to our church?

“No one, Mama. He’s in my class.”

Satan is in your class?!?!”

“Yeah.”

“Well is Satan good or bad, Jack?”

“Mama, he’s good….he’s just a kid!!”

“So let me get this right, Jack -  Satan goes to our church, he’s in your class and he’s a good kid?”

“No, no, no!!! Taten is in my class at church.”LCCC, Ed, Swim Lessons, Science Museum 023 Good grief! I certainly hope Jack is calling this kid by his real name and not by Satan. We will certainly be excommunicated if this little problem continues.

So, if you are Taten’s mom or dad, I sincerely apologize for my son calling your son Satan. It was not done out of spite, in fact Jack thinks very highly of your son. And if it makes you feel any better, Jack was repaid a few days later at the park with kids who were continually calling him a donkey…I was very glad they did not know that his name was Jack or they might have gone ahead and upgraded the donkey name calling to the next level.

9 comments:

Shawna Byrd said...

Too cute. Nothing is funnier than an innocent comment made by a child. I'm glad satan is not his class, LOL!

Unknown said...

Oh, that is FUNNY! Yeah, I hope he doesn't call the other little boy Satan, but the name sure is similar! I can see why he had that little mistake!

Liz Brack said...

too funny! Where are u guys going now?

Drew said...

Funny! It reminds me of a story from when my son sat in the big people church service for the first time. The pastor got up to preach. Nathan leaned over to me and said in a hushed, awed voice, "Mommy, is that God?" Kids are the best, aren't they? :)

Devin said...

Glad to have you back! I've missed you.

Unknown said...

So funny. I think when I was a teacher I might have really taught Satan though. He went by the name of Ronnell. I can never forget him..... : )

Sally's World said...

LOL...i was really expecting something awful, like the teacher had told the child he was satan or something. one of my god children came home from school one day and announced that his friend Lee was the son of the devil!!!!The teacher was reprimanded, but it was an awful thing to say in the first place.

~Tom~ said...

I love when kids hear things differently. It makes for some very memorable laughs. My daughter could not say Kentucky Fried Chicken. So when at the age of 3 she told us that for lunch she wanted "F***in Tried Chicken" we laughed so hard our sides hurt. In fact I am sitting here laughing again over it! lol

Mandy, Dustin and Thomas said...

Too Funny and so cute!!!