Thursday, July 17, 2008

Vacation Bible School

At our church we do Vacation Bible School a little differently. Instead of it being a week long, we only have it for one day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Each teacher teaches a different lesson and the kids rotate from room to room throughout the day. This year's theme was Wanted: Righteous Children of God (which goes to explain the "accessories" I am proudly wearing).

This was my first year helping with VBS and I have to say that at the end of the day I was exhausted. When I coached skating the only time I had more than one or two kids at a time was maybe twice a week and only for an hour at that. Wednesday proved a clear reminder of why in college I dropped Early Childhood Education as my major and pursued journalism instead - kids, when grouped together, are LOUD!

My class, that I helped Shawna with, was on Fruitfulness in serving as shown to us by Dorcas. One of our activities was to have the kids make clothes for each other out of toilet paper, just as Dorcas had made clothes for the widows. Although this was a great idea and worked out well with the older kids, the 5 and 6 year olds were a completely different story that I never care to relive.

Honestly though, it wasn't all that bad; but again, not something I would want to do full-time (my hats are off to all of the teachers who may be reading this). The kids really seemed to enjoy it and I got to watch Jack from a distance a little bit. He was with the 3 and 4 year olds and they only stay until lunch-time. He loved his "new" classroom so much that I am afraid that he will expect it to be like that all of the time now.

No comments: