Friday, August 8, 2008

Olympic Games

I am a sucker for the Opening Ceremonies of the Summer Olympic Games. Josh and Jack are out working on a house nearby and Beau and I are sitting in front of the television watching the world come together for one big celebration.

A lot of the reason I enjoy watching this event is simply due to the fact that it reminds me of when I got to take part in it during the '96 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. Watching it now, I know that everyone who is taking part in this is feeling the same way I felt 12 years ago. I wish I could describe it to you all but there are no words for such emotions.

Knowing that you are taking part in something that celebrates the culmination of so many peoples life-long dreams; knowing that you are taking part in something that unites the world, even if for only a few hours; knowing all the hours and people that it took to put something like this together and realizing that it will all be over in just a matter of seconds and knowing that you will never get to take part in something like this again in your lifetime but being so grateful that you got to do it once...like I said, there are no words for such emotions. Just reliving it in my mind and in my heart sends chills up my spine and brings tears to my eyes.


Photo 1:
LA Times Beijing Olympic Games
Photo 2: 1996 Atlanta Olympics (I am in the yellow)

1 comment:

The McDowells said...

Hi Melinda,

This is Katie (Kelsey) McDowell and I just came across your blog. I am glad to see that you and Josh are doing well and you have adorable little boys!