Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Graceling

n271651 I just finished reading yet another young adult book and I loved it! In Kristin Cashore’s debut novel Graceling, she weaves together a magical story full of suspense , romance and self discovery.

Lately my husband and I both have been shocked by the books I have not only chosen to read but that I have also enjoyed. Graceling proved one of those books.

In a world of seven kingdoms ruled by kings, certain individuals are born with Graces that let them excel in certain trades or areas of life.

Katsa’s Grace of killing is discovered at a young age when she accidentally kills an uncle who tries to touch her inappropriately. From that point on, she is trained in her Grace and taught how to control it.

Because of her unique “gift", her king, King Randa, uses and exploits her. Unhappily she submits to her role as punisher and executioner for the king.

Only when she meets Po, a graced prince of Lienid, does she discover that free will exists. She breaks free from her king and sets off on an adventure with Po to discover the truths behind a kidnapping. What they will find will not only appall them but test their Graces like never before.

Graceling is very well written with an exciting and intricate plot. Like most books, the first few chapters are a little slow due to a lot of back-story; but once I got into it I was so enthralled with it that I couldn’t put it down. I am looking forward to reading more from this new and budding author and am happy to highly recommend this one to everyone.

**This book contains no explicit language and only references sexual content.**

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This doesn't sound like a book I would love, but if you love it...well, never say never : )

ThatsBaloney said...

Sounds odd, but I trust your judgement!

Unknown said...

I've only recently heard of this book but I like your recommendation. I'll check it out!