Monday, July 28, 2008

Meltdown madness

If I didn't know better, I would say my sister-in-law Jennifer and I are pregnant...but I do know better and we are most definitely NOT pregnant (rest easy, Nana Brookshire). What we are, however, is emotional and yesterday seemed to top the charts on sentimental cerebration.

It basically boils down to the fact that our children are getting older. I realize that under the age of five seems hardly old; but with kids going to all-day-school at four-years-old, three seems old to me.

The morning started off rough for me. In our church bulletin was the August calendar and there on August 30th was Beau's name. I can't believe my baby is turning one. With Jack it wasn't such an emotional milestone because I knew we would have more. With Beau - it is most definitely different. He may very well be our last and one just seems to mark the end of baby-hood.

For Jennifer, her oldest, Brynnley will be headed off to Pre-K in a few weeks; so yesterday was extremely rough on her. We went to the city to go shopping for school/fall clothes and Brynnley got her very first back-pack and lunch box. As she wore it proudly around the mall, Jennifer couldn't help but get teary-eyed...and who can blame her. I got a little choked up just thinking about Jack being at this stage next summer (plus it doesn't help when he exclaims he wants to go to school too) - I am so not ready for that.

School just seems to mark the beginning of the end - once they start going they don't stop and then they move away, get married and have kids of their own. I am amazed every day at how fast time flies and although I am so excited to watch these boys grow-up and hopefully one day become the men that God wants them to be, I am sad too. There are days when I wish we could just freeze time and they could stay at home with their mama forever.

No comments: